Mercy College has a rich and proud history which began soon after the settlement of Western Australia (the Swan River Colony) in 1829.
In January 1846 the first Sisters of Mercy arrived in the new colony promising to offer their services to the poor, the sick and the uneducated. Within a few years they had built a convent, three schools and two orphanages, one for Aboriginal children.
Eventually the city and the northern freeway system pushed families further north. In 1888 the sisters established St. Brigid's School in West Perth in an area of sand and scrub. By 1896 there were about 500 pupils and in 1928 there were 40 Sisters of Mercy and 600 pupils. As the city and the suburbs grew and spread, the sisters from West Perth began new schools at Leederville (Aranmore), Lesmurdie (St. Brigid's), Osborne Park (St. Kieran's) and St Anthony's Wanneroo.
Mercy College was built in 1972 to meet the educational needs of the children in these new areas. St. Brigid's students transferred directly to the new Mercy College as well.
At that time Beach Road and Mirrabooka Avenue stopped well short of this school in the bush and buses dropped students off 200 metres from the entrance. They then walked along a limestone track from the bus stop to the school. As well, there was no telephone or postal service.
The first students were all girls and the first buildings are now part of the Primary school on Mirrabooka Avenue. The school expanded rapidly from the first Year Eight to Ten classes in 1972.
The primary school (Year Five) began in 1974.
Mercy College has now become a school for both girls and boys from Kindergarten to Year Twelve. Its total population is over 1600 students and approximately 200 staff. Buildings have continued to expand to keep maximising learning opportunities for all students following the example of our founding Sisters. Staff and students alike make a conscious effort to maintain the Mercy ethos.