ICT & Cyber Safety
We take the safety of our students very seriously in all areas, and here in ICT we teach them specifically about online safety. We equip our students in a fun way from a very early age, with strategies to help them stay safe when using computers. Many of these strategies transfer to other areas of their life but with technology being such a large part of society, it is important that they are aware of the specific dangers and feel able to seek and receive the help they need.
In such a technology rich environment, and growing up surrounded by technology, our students are very comfortable in trying out new things and learning new skills. We endeavour to provide these new experiences and skills that they need in a 21st Century society and we have lots of fun in the process. We feel it is important that the students know not just what we learn but why we learn. Everything is placed in a meaningful context that the children can relate to and extrapolate to their personal experiences and understandings. Some of the things we cover in Primary ICT include:
- parts of a computer
- how computers work
- how data is stored
- saving work on a computer
- how computers have changed
- creating multimedia using a variety of technologies
- input and output devices
- hardware and software
- what is a computer?
- how can computers can help you learn?
- what is the internet and how do we use it?
- how do people use computers at work?
- how do we take care of our personal information?
- should I trust everything I read on the web?
- teaching our students to use the correct terminology relating to technology
Computer Science and computational thinking
- what is an algorithm?
- what is code?
- what are computer bugs?
- how can we protect our computer from malware?
- how do you program a robot?
- how do search engines work?
These are just some of the things we cover in ICT lessons. The students do lots of investigating, exploring, analysing, evaluating and producing. This leads to a fuller understanding of the world they live in and will help them navigate this world.
Mrs Sandra Mullaney | Primary ICT Teacher